The Lord’s (Faceted) chamber (1433) it is almost all has left from the metropolitan residence. Its condition is typical for the medieval building. Behind the prosiness of exterior there are hiden many interestind things. If you take off almost 3 metres cultural layer, entrance hall of the 19th century, turn back ogival windows and portals in your mind then what a sight met our eyes!It is something not typical for russian architecture. These specifics are the results of Evfimiy’s II order to raise the Lord’s chamber in common with german architects.
In the 15th century the Camber was intended for meetings and sessions, here also rendered justice. That’s why the fresco paintings on the fronts and inside include religious and ornamental compositions.
The importance of Lord’s Chamber in the history of Russia is great.
In the 16th century there was the destruction of town. One of the legend says there was shed so much of blood in Volkhov that it does not freeze even in the severe frost.
For a long time from the 16th – 19 th centuries the Lord’s Chamber used as church. Nowadays here are funds and expositions of old-russian ornamental – and – applied and jewelery art, and in the Ioann bulk there is an exposition of “Oldrussian sewing of the 11th-17th centuries.”
St. Sophia’s Cathedral (1045-1050) is one of the most earliest russian stone buildings, it was erected by Yaroslav the Wise, his son Vladimir and episcopate Luca as town cathedral.
For the Novgorodians, St Sophia became synonymous with their town, because of its huge sizes, the use of southern galery for burial of knyazes, episcopates. It developed at the begining of the 15th century when the centre of five-dome was gilded and on the cross was put leaden dove, the symbol of Holy Spirit.
As a architectural building St Sophia’s Cathedral is perfect. It was erected by Byzantine and Kiev architects and they could reproduce the essence of novgorod nature: reserve, bordering with severity, the range of thoughts and power.
In old times St Sophia’s Cathedral had chancel fence with icons dating to the 11th-12th centuries “the Saviour on the throne” and “Apostles Peter and Pavel”. Later in the 14th – 16th centuries there was set a high iconostasis. The glittering of silver frameworks, bright of icons from the Uspensk and Christmas iconostasis attract the glance and lead to the domes.
Today you mau come here through the south doors. But during the metropolitan service main west gates are opened, it was made in Magdeburg. According to legend, it was brought from the Swedish town of Sigtuna as a war capture. It is the only one work of the roman monumental plastic arts collected by th erussian master Avraam who has put his image near the portraits of german smelters Rikvin and Vaysmut.
The Kremlin in Velikiy Novgorod is considered to be the most ancient architectural monument. The oldest construction of the kremlin is Saint Sofia’s cathedral, it was erected by Yaroslavl the Wise (it was mentioned first in the chronicles in the entry for 1044). Its location is in the centre of the town, on the left bank of Volkhov. The Faceted Chambers deserve a special attention. They were raised by the foreign masters, hence Gothic lancet windows and European prints on the walls.
In old times kremlin was called as krom, detinets or town. “Krom” meant enclosure. The walls of detinets were composed of wooden fellings covered over with earth.
In the annals of the 11th-12th centuries narrates about the construction of detinets, its name is Novgorod, i.e. that “new town”.
In the 12th-15th centuries kremlin was reconstructed. It was involved with the aggravation of foreign policy and perfection of military and strategic constructions.
In 20’s of the 15th century the construction of the stone walls were finished.
The characteristic feature of the Novgorod Kremlin’s towers were churches. In 12th – 13th centuries they were built near towers and in the 14th century they appeared at the passage of Lord’s court.